Monday, July 28, 2014

Getting to Know Tracy Sharp ; Getting to Know Me

Since Tracy Sharp, author of the Leah Ryan Thrillers series, and I released new books during the same week, I thought it would be a good idea to interrogate, I mean interview each other over an imaginary cup of coffee. So grab a real cup of coffee, or tea, or shot of whiskey, whichever you prefer, and get to know us a little better. It's probably better to read this while listening to ABBA's 'Knowing Me, Knowing You'. That's just a suggestion.


Getting to Know Tracy


 Paul: Tell us a little bit about yourself. 

Tracy: I'm from Northern, Ontario, Canada. I just finished my interview and test to become an American citizen. I've been in upstate NY for 14 years. I love this country.

Paul: What made you decide that you wanted to be a writer?

Tracy:  It's the one thing I love most in the world to do. I'm better at writing than any other job. And I've tried plenty of jobs. Even spilled a tray of drinks on a very tough motorcycle chick once. I just kept buying her beer all night. She was cool with that. Didn't make much in tips that night.

 Paul:  What was the first book you published and when was it published? 

Tracy: The first book I published was through Liquid Silver Books, and it was Repo Chick Blues in 2005. I then wrote Finding Chloe and published that one through Liquid Silver as well, in early 2007.

Paul: What did you learn from your first release? Mistakes? Were you pleased with the results? 

Tracy: Repo Chick Blues was primarily an action thriller. I didn't know quite what I was doing, but I had a ton of fun with it. I've learned a lot since then, about structure and character. The hero's journey. I've updated Repo some since that early release. I know a lot more about constructing a story than I did then.

Paul: You self-publish now. What made you choose to go the self-publishing route?

Tracy: I never liked that I had no control over anything in publishing. I was with a small press, both times, and although they were very nice to me, I had no control over anything, and didn't make much money. There was no promo.  Any promo I did, I did myself. 

Now, I can choose what promo I want, and everything else about my book, and I reap the benefits from any promo I do. I can choose the cover, editor, formatter, when to publish. I like having that control. And I make more money now than I ever did with a traditional publisher. 

 Paul: What genres do you write in? 

Tracy: Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Romantic Suspense and Horror. I did a YA Horror novel that I loved writing, also.

 The Writing Process

Paul: How do you find time to write? 

Tracy: Back then, I wrote early in the morning or late at night, and on weekends. I didn't have a family, but I did have a full-time job, so I gave it all I had when I wasn't working.

Paul: Do you give yourself a word count quota for the day? 

Tracy: 1000 words a day is my quota. I try to do more, if I can, and many times I can, but 1000 words is my mark.

Paul: Do you have a writing ritual? 

Tracy: Really, I just sit and do it. I don't edit myself in the first draft. I just get everything down.

Paul:  What do you listen to while you write? 

Tracy: While I was writing Red Surf, I would listen to ocean waves crashing against the shore. Usually, though, I don't listen to anything because I get too caught up in the music. Sometimes I'll listen to a song that is a theme song for a character. Two Doors Down's Duck and Run is Leah's theme song.

Paul:  How do you stay productive? 

Tracy: I finish one book and begin another, usually the same day. I'll start the research on whatever comes next. The idea for the next book usually comes to me while I'm writing the current one. I write the idea and known scenes on index cards that I keep in a freezer bag. Each book has a freezer bag of index cards. When I begin the book, I start pinning those cards to a cork board, and I can just move them around as I'm creating.

Paul: How long does it usually take you from idea conception to final draft to publish a book? 

Tracy: It takes about three months. That's for about a 60,000 word novel.

On Marketing

 Paul:  Finding an audience is crucial for self-published authors. 

Tracy: From a marketing aspect what have you done to make yourself more visible to readers. Giving away free books is what I've found reached the most readers. People get a taste of your writing, your characters, and if they like what they read, they will come find you again. I'm the same way with what I read. If I find a writer I love, I read everything they write.

Paul:  If you could offer an author who is about to hit the publish button for the first time a piece of advice what would it be? 

Tracy: Have a great cover, and a great product. Your book is a representation of you. Be professional.


 Meet Leah Ryan

 Paul:  You have a series of books based on a jack-of-all-trades female protagonist. Who is she and what inspired you to create her? 

Tracy: Leah Ryan is a reformed car thief, turned vehicle repossession agent, turned private eye. She kind of fell into the private eye thing while she was repossessing cars. I didn't think about her character while I was creating her. She's a thrill-seeker with a rescue complex. She just started speaking to me and hasn't stopped.

Paul: With four full-length novels and short novel collaboration with Joe Konrath, where should readers begin if they want to catch up with Leah Ryan? 

Tracy: I would suggest reading Jacked Up first, because it's a great little introduction to Leah Ryan and to Joe's Lt. Jack Daniels. I'm a huge fan of the Jack Daniels series and am so honored to be giving the opportunity to write her. If you enjoy Leah Ryan in Jacked Up, Repo Chick Blues is the first in the Leah Ryan series, but it isn't necessary to read the Leah books in order. I've written them so that they can be enjoyed no matter where you begin in the series.

Paul: What’s next for Leah Ryan? 

Tracy: I'm throwing Leah into the horror novel I'm writing right now. Seems to be working out. After that, I'm not sure. But it'll be something exciting :)

Final Words

 Paul:  What are you currently reading? 

Tracy: Currently reading BONE ANDCINDER: A POST APOCALYPTIC THRILLER by Scott Nicholson and Joshua Simcox. It's outstanding. Really high tension and suspenseful. I love thrillers like that.

Paul:  “Me” time is scarce when you’re a self-published writer juggling family and work also. How do you find time to take a step back?  

Tracy: Evenings I set aside for my husband. We watch shows like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Orange is the New Black and The Walking Dead, among others, and time with my son comes after the writing is done for the day, usually around 3 pm. Family time is important.

 Paul:  Why should a reader looking for a new author to read give you a shot? 

Tracy: I think that if a reader enjoys tense, hard-boiled female protagonists they might enjoy my Leah books. They are not for everyone, but I have a loyal fan base who come back again and again, and some readers who email to find out when the next Leah book will be available. I write for the readers who enjoy my books. I just want to entertain. These books wouldn't be considered "Great Literature" by any stretch. My job as a writer is to tell a good story and entertain the hell out of readers. I hope that I succeed in that.

Paul: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve taken away from life so far? 

Tracy: Don't give up. Unless you don't want to put the work into it. There are a million other jobs that are easier to do. If you love it, and you really have to, you need to show up each day and treat the writing like a job, because that is what it is.

Paul:  Do you have a favorite quote that inspires you?

Tracy:  "Just do it!" or "Get 'er Done!" I say those things to myself all the time. Along with a lot of gibberish. I talk to myself a lot.

Paul: What’s next for Tracy Sharp? 

Tracy: The next book. Whatever that will be. I like being surprised.


Getting to Know Paul


Tracy: How do you juggle work and writing? How do you carve out writing time?

Paul: During the daylight hours I am the Director of Content for Showcase Magazine — a regional publication in Southern Virginia. So, I get to write pretty much all day. At night, I work on fiction. Having a job in publishing affords me the opportunity to learn different styles of writing and it's helped me tremendously to improve my craft. I'm somewhat scatterbrained, so as I'm driving or even walking through the mall, dialogue or a scene will come to me and I have to jot it down. Many times it's not even for a story I'm working on.  

Tracy: What have you learned as a writer over the years?

Paul: First and foremost — to check your ego at the door, and to wear thick skin because the forecast calls for heavy criticism.  

Tracy: How do you motivate yourself to write? 

Paul: I'm easily motivated. It usually starts with a simple idea maybe from a situation I witnessed at the mall or from a lyric in a song. In about an hour, I have the basic outline for a story in my head. I have an evernote notebook full of these ideas. Music is probably my main motivation though. As a kid, I didn't read as much as I listened to music. Jim Croce and Jerry Reed taught me how to tell stories through their songs. Bob Dylan probably could have as well, but I couldn't understand him.

Tracy: What is the hardest part of writing a story/book for you, and what is your favorite?

Paul: The hardest part for me is actually finishing the book. I tend to have the beginning and end of a book played out in my head before I even start writing. I just published the first book in my Morning Star trilogy, but I knew how the series was going to end before I put the first word to paper for the first book, Chasing Fireflies.  My favorite part is being able to fight through the demons of knowing how it ends and finishing the book.

Tracy: What is your writing process?

Paul: I don't have a daily goal. I set a weekly goal of 10,000 words. I miss it more than I hit it, but I don't beat myself up over it. Some days I'm just disconnected from my characters. The day writing feels like a chore is the day I fall out of love with it. This philosophy turns out to be pretty productive. This year I've written two novels, two short stories, and I'm a fourth of the way into the second book in the Morning Star series.

Tracy: Do you use a writing group or beta readers? 

Paul: This is an area I still need to work on. I belong to a writer's group, but I don't utilize it like I should. And I'm getting better at networking, so hopefully I can find a few beta readers for future releases.

 Tracy: What methods of marketing have helped you so far, and what hasn't?

Paul: I'll start with what hasn't — doing nothing. I made a big mistake when I published my first book last year. I didn't invest time in researching marketing. I assumed I'd write the book, hit publish, and watch downloads come in. Reality kicked my ass. I think networking with other authors is the most valuable form of marketing. The thing I love most about being part of the world of writers is that most are incredible helpful and genuinely want to see each other succeed. Finding a group of authors to share what works and what doesn't is invaluable. From an advertising standpoint, so far bknights on fiverr has amazed me with level of results I've received.

Tracy: What is the best tip you've ever gotten as a writer? 

Paul: Fear played a big part in me waiting until last year to publish a book. The best advice for me, in life as well as writing, comes from Jim Morrison. He said, "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that fear has no power."

Tracy: What would you tell a newbie who asked you for advice?

Paul:  I would say to research and understand the marketing aspects of self-publishing. Writing the book is the easy part. I'd also start following authors like Hugh Howey, Barry Eisler, Joe Konrath, and David Graughran. The wealth of knowledge you can obtain from following their blogs and social media accounts is priceless.  

Tracy: What genre is your favorite to write and read?

Paul:  To write — I have two favorites, horror and crime fiction. To read — I go through spells. But mostly it's horror and thrillers. Right now, I am on an autobiography kick though. I just finished Meat Loaf's To Hell and Back. I tend to read two or three books at a time, depending on my mood. I recently started Soft Target by Iain Rob Wright. So far, it's great.

Tracy: What's next?

Paul: The plan is to finish the second book in the Morning Star trilogy, Babylon Sister. I'm also working on a monthly serial about a woman who desperately wants to find out who she is while a bunch of baddies want to find out where she is, because there's a possibility she may be the only person that can save mankind from a coming war. Then I'm going back to horror for a bit.

You can grab Tracy's latest, Red Surf for $.99 for a limited time. And you can pick up Chasing Fireflies for $.99 also.  








1 comment: